Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Code

I've been tagged to answer this puzzle... And it took me a day or two... Why? Well, I am a fan of algebra during my college days.. kaya I make the solution complicated... Bwahahaha! Seriously, I was at the middle of my work kaya nahahati ang concentration ko... What's funnier.. I tagged Jojo to solve the puzzle with me but I manage to answer the puzzle first.... At exactly 12.45 AM.. Cool! Sabi ko, "mahal magconcentrate ka na lang sa sales.. you forgot your math na"

A man wanted to get into his office building, but he had forgotten his password. However, he did remember five clues:

- The fifth number plus the third number equals fourteen.
- The fourth number is one more than the second number.
- The first number is one less than twice the second number.
- The second number plus the third number equals ten.
- The sum of all five numbers is 30.

What are the five numbers?


Goodness! All is given.. What took me so long to figure it out...

My solution:
a + b + c + d + e = 30
Clues:
e + c = 14
d = 1 + b
a = 2b - 1
b + c = 10
sum of all is 30

(2b - 1) + b + (10 - b) + (b + 1) + [14 - (10 - b)] = 30
2b - 1 + b + 10 - b + b + 1 + 14 - 10 + b = 30
4b + 14 = 30
4b = 30 - 14
4b = 16 (at first my answer here is 18... hahahah! 30 - 14 is 18.. tsk tsk... so i need to go back and find another solution... didn't i made my world complicated? heheheh)
b = 4

a = 2b - 1
a = 2(4) - 1
a = 8 - 1
a = 7

c = 10 - b
c = 10 - 4
c = 6

d = b + 1
d = 4 + 1
d = 5

eto matindi...
my first checking is
e = 14 - (10 - b)
e = 14 - 10 - 4 (o di ba mali.. heheheh!)
e = 0 (waaaa! it cannot be! jojo laughed... mali daw solution ko... kaya i changed my approach.. pero i figured that mali ung - 4 dun.. it should be + 4)

e = 14 - b
e = 14 - 6
e = 8